There are four main benefits of advertising for advertisers:
- Announce new, interesting or useful information
- Promote political messages to voters
- Inform citizens of government services
- Interact with customers through storytelling
Disadvantages of advertising
Advertising has many disadvantages, such as invading the privacy of people, steal information and create addiction. Other disadvantages of advertising are as follows
- Advertising does not promise sales: While advertising is a great way to get people out there, it is not a guarantee of sales. You can create a positive buzz around your company, but it won’t necessarily lead to any sales unless you put in the effort.
- Risk of misrepresenting the facts: Ads are a risk for companies because sometimes they must misrepresent the facts to make their product appear more attractive. This can lead to the company being sued. For example, in 2013, Volkswagen paid billions of dollars to settle claims that it had knowingly emitted illegal pollutants from its diesel cars and misled consumers.
- Can create negative brand awareness: Advertising can create negative brand awareness. For example, if you have a product that is too similar in design to other competitors, then potential customers may think that your product is pointless because it offers nothing different from others.
- Increased cost to the business: As a business, advertising is an important way to promote your brand. However, it could also be expensive if the company does not know how to measure its return on investment and manage its costs.
- Forces people to buy products or services they don’t need: The Internet has made it easier to buy goods and services, but it can also be harmful to people. For example, advertisers know that if they successfully introduce an item to consumers, they are likely to buy it. In other words, advertising encourages mindless spending. People are bombarded with ads on a daily basis and the more they see them, the less likely they are to think before buying a product.
- Increases the cost of the product or service: Advertising can be a good thing for a company trying to sell something. It can help spread the word about a product or service and make it more popular overall. However, the cost associated with advertising can add to the cost of the product or service in the end.
- Advertising can be misleading: One of the biggest disadvantages of advertising is that it can be misleading. Companies may run ads that make products appear to be the best value when, in fact, they may not be.
- Can create a monopoly: Advertising has the potential to create a monopoly. This means that advertising can put consumers out of the market and limit their choices. Worse yet, advertisers can use their power to make low-quality products seem like valid options, which is why people need to be careful about advertising.
Increased brand and product awareness
Is there the target audience of potential customers aware of your business?
Over the past decades, different types of ads have proven effective in raising awareness of new brands in target markets and spreading the word about their business in a short period of time.
Advertising is of great help in dealing with the competitive forces that prevail in the market. Continuous advertising is very essential to save the product from the clutches of competitors.
Advertising is essential to increase the goodwill of the company.It introduces the manufacturer and its product to the people.Repeated advertising and better quality of the products brings more reputation to the manufacturer and improves the goodwill of the company
Disadvantages of advertising:
Advertising also has its own limitations.In some cases, few people misuse it without considering their business interests
The main weaknesses of advertising are analyzed below: